Kathleen Sebelius, Governor
Kathy Greenlee, Secretary
KDOA Logo Graphic

Relatives As Parents Program

A Program for Grandparents and Other Relatives Serving as Caregivers For Children


Who We Are

Several agencies concerned with the welfare of older adults, children and youth are coming together to begin the Relatives As Parents Program. Referred to as "RAPP", this program will work to help relatives who are raising children; especially as it relates to grandparents raising grandchildren.

Why We Exist

RAPP exists to let grandparents and relatives know that "You are not alone!" Problems that we encounter in everyday life can affect our families. More and more today, parents are unable to care for their children. Grandparents and other relatives frequently take on that responsibility in an effort to help.

In Kansas, as in the entire United States, there has been a steady increase in the number of children living with grandparents and other relatives.

The 2000 Census Bureau Report shows that 2.4 millions grandparents are taking on primary responsibility for their grandchildren's needs, many without a parent in the home. In Kansas, 17,873 grandparents reported that they are raising their grandchildren. This is not just a caregiver issue, however. According to 2000 Census data, in the United States, more than six million children, approximately 1 in 12 children, are living in households headed by grandparents or other relatives. Of these, close to 20% are in the formal foster care system. The remaining 80% and the caregivers who are responsible for them receive little assistance, and may encounter systems that make it difficult to access even basic services, such as health care and educational services. Kansas has 35,274 children living in households headed by grandparents or other relatives.

How We Can Help

The RAPP Initiative in Kansas offers:

Our Mission Statement

The mission of the Kansas Relatives As Parents Program is to identify and support issues and needs of kinship caregiving, especially as it relates to grandparents raising grandchildren.

Is there a cost to participate?

There is no charge to grandparents and relatives to participate in RAPP.

For further information, please contact:

Web-Site Links
Grandparents as Parents Issues:
Children and Relative Caregiver Issues
General Information
Legal and Financial Assistance
| KDOA Disclaimer | KDOA Freedom of Information Statement | KDOA Privacy Statement |
| accessKansas Home Page | Contact KDOA |
Page Last Updated: March 21, 2008